Many studies show that social media isn’t good for our mental health. Forbes cites a handful of facts and studies about the negative affects it can have on our lives:
- It can be addictive: studies show it can have similar affects that other addictions have on our minds.
- It can cause more sadness: it is known to cause more social isolation. The more we use social media, the more sad we tend to be.
- It is mentally unhealthy to compare ourselves to others: comparing whether we are better or worse off than others based on social media posts is not mentally healthy.
- Jealousy: envy and jealousy can lead to more mental health problems.
- We believe going on social media can help us in times of loneliness: but in fact makes us feel worse.
To read the full article and see the studies these facts are based on, visit here.
Angst panel discussion at Mill Valley Film Festival
RESOURCES & TOOLS
Angst Clip: Anxiety and the mind-gut connection
“A head full of fears has no space for dreams.” -Unknown
Find Angst screenings: Events in your community
Host a screening: Click here to learn more
If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, please reach out to someone who can help, and in an emergency, call 911, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255, or text the Crisis Text Line 741741.